Wednesday 16 January 2019

@Alan @Phil - Premise ideas


In order from top to bottom these are the ideas that I would be most interested in doing:

1) A developed version of my idea from the previous post related to a story from a friend.

In order to develop this idea I need to include some emotion, during my tutorial yesterday Alan suggested that I look for a reason as to why the main character would want to escape from reality. I've asked some peers as well as looking into to some potential reasons such as a fear, boredom due to dissatisfaction, anxiety/other peoples anxieties and stress, bullies and parents.

2) Mechanical Magician

Building upon what I did for my character design project, I think there is a story that I could take forward with it. While I was working on my character bible I realised that there is an emotional story behind the character and it is definitely a potential idea.

3) Seal Story

During my time in halls I saw a seal along the pier. From this I noted down a basic idea about a person who falls into a river of some sorts and is saved by the seal. Alan said this could also use some emotion so he suggested the person who falls in could possible be depressed and this experience is meant to be an eye wakening moment.

I'm very keen to do the first idea and I'm hoping that I can refine it. However, if I can't go ahead with the first idea, I'm hoping the second idea will be good enough. I still need to come up with more ideas so that I have a wider range, but for now I will post these.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alfie - just in terms of your first idea... looking at your visual references and your 'alien' drawing - I'm not sure if it's 'the idea' or 'the style' that has you so enthusiastic? The 'style' you're showcasing is this sort of analogue, play-doh/scribbly zone? I think it would be good to just take a moment to reflect on what you actually 'mean' or 'see' when you think about this idea and if it's an aesthetic or art-style that is dominant in your 'mind's eye'. This is a starting point too. The actual 'idea of a hallucination at night' etc - or rather the things we see and think about at night is a rich source of ideas; take a look at this as a great example of sort of 'stream of consciousness':

    https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-franks-joke-2018-online

    A story in which someone's room is invaded by something nonsensical or bizarre doesn't have to equate with big sad ideas or ISSUES - as you can see from this example, that craziness can stem from something small and silly. The reason why 'Frank's Joke' works is because, while we've never had that precise experience, we can all relate to the experience in general terms. I think this is what is meant by looking for some kind of emotional connection - it's like the advice to all writers: 'write about what you know' (even if the story itself is completely fictional).

    For me... the most useful aspect of your story idea is the idea of hallucinations themselves - I'd research the term, look for some testimonials, and start there; sometimes we need to ask ourselves 'Why make this story using animation?' Seems to me animation is a good fit for a subject about 'augmented reality' - which a hallucination surely is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil! This is really helpful stuff I'll definitely take it all on board

    ReplyDelete

Final Rendered Film